As a self-proclaimed basketball junkie, I tend not to care who's playing or who's commentating. As long as there's some bball to be watched, I am glued to the tube.
But for the past five years I, along with millions of others, have been lucky and blessed to listen to TNT's pregame, halftime, and postgame shows led by Ernie Johnson.
Johnson has a rare combination of intelligence, humor, and charisma that make him a pleasure to listen to, a real feat considering how many terrible sports commentators plague American television.
Even if the game is a blowout, Johnson manages to keep basketball entertaining through his friendly jabs at fellow analyst Charles Barkley or his comments aimed at Craig "I often wear a red suit" Sager.
Sadly, Ernie Johnson has cancer.
At the end of this year's NBA playoffs Johnson will begin his chemotherapy. Whether he will ever be able to return to the studio and continue the job he does so well is currently unknown.
Ernie- Despite the Utah Jazz's (my team) lackluster showing the past few seasons, you helped keep me addicted to the game of basketball. Thanks for everything.
I along with millions of others will be soaking up your words the next few months, with the great hope that you will be back next season, better than ever.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment