Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Tale As Old As Time

Earlier today I attended a lecture by renowned French intellectual Elaine Finkelkraut. But that's a story for another day.

The story I want to tell is about a Princess Bride and her true love Wesley- the Man in Black.

Since I was little, this two-hour fantasy adventure captivated me with its portrayals of destiny, revenge, pirates, duels, true love, miracles, evil, and good.

The Princess Bride is a cinematic classic. For the past two years it has become my duty to show the movie to any unfortunate soul who has yet to watch it.

If you are my friend then you have seen this movie.

My heart is warmed when I see a "second time watcher" spread the serenity of The Princess Bride to underprivileged "never seen it" souls.

That is why today was a happy day.

As I took my seat before Finkelkraut's lecture, I noticed an elderly woman to my right placing a brand new copy of The Princess Bride into her bag.

I couldn't help but smile and stare. She turned to me and said, "It's a marvelous picture! I just had to buy it for my grandson and all his friends!"

I don't know this woman. I will likely never see her again. But she and I share a common purpose: to spread the joy and happiness The Princess Bride provides.

Children, teenagers, friends, adults, ladies, gentleman, and things of all ages: Heed the words of this random elderly woman and see this marvelous picture. I promise you will enjoy it.

I leave you with these final words: My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father! Prepare to die!

No comments: